Alleyway Improvement Grant Program
The purpose of the Alley Improvement Grant Program is to provide financial incentives for private investment to improve the sides of commercial buildings facing the alleyways in the 200, 300, and 400 blocks of Bridge Street. Specifically, the program is intended to promote improvements that are consistent with the 2018 Downtown Alleyway Corridor Vision developed with the services of the Sustainable Built Environment Initiative at Michigan State University. We believe these improvements will convert the alleyways to avenues of commerce and improve the economic vitality of Charlevoix's downtown. Additionally, this program aims to improve walkability and accessibility of our downtown.
This program is funded by Charlevoix Main Street DDA. The number of projects receiving grants in a fiscal year is based on the program budget, with a new funding cycle beginning April 1. Grants are awarded on a rolling basis, if funds are available. Awarding of grants is at the sole discretion of the Charlevoix Main Street DDA. Grants reimburse 50% of eligible project costs up to $5,000.
Program Target Area
The target area for the Charlevoix Main Street Alleyway Façade Incentive Grant Program is the Charlevoix Downtown Development Authority District. (See District Map)
- Owners of commercial buildings that are in the Downtown Development Authority district, used for commercial purposes, and conform to applicable zoning requirements are eligible to apply for grant funds.
- Tenants of eligible buildings may request grant funds if they submit a notarized letter of permission from the property owner with their application.
Eligible Improvement Projects
- Exterior brick or wall surface cleaning using gentlest means possible (no sandblasting).
- Re-pointing of brick mortar joints.
- Patching and painting of walls.
- Window and/or door repair or appropriate replacement.
- Cornice repair or appropriate replacement.
- Other exterior improvements of a structural nature or for historical restoration purposes.
- Interior Improvements related to providing access to a new rear entry.
- Exterior Lighting.
- Business Signage.
- HVAC system relocation.
- Trash receptacle screening.