The City of Charlevoix Public Works Department oversees the day-to-day maintenance and cleaning of City
streets, parks, and other City-owned properties. The Department also provides several
services to residents, including brush pickup, chipping, weekly “spring cleanup” and fall leaf pickup.
These services are paid for by the “refuse” portion of all tax bills. The Public Works Department is also responsible for the sanitary sewer collection and water distribution systems.
Pat Elliott-Public Works Superintendent
Brush pickup is routinely provided on city streets. In order to
make this service efficient, it is asked that residents place grass clippings, leaves, and other
decomposable material unbagged in a separate pile from tree branches and other woody material
that requires chipping.
The Public Works Department is responsible for management and maintenance of the Brookside Cemetery and St. Marys Cemetery. Bob McGhee is the Sexton for the cemetery and can be reached at 547-3271. Click here to download the cemetery rules and regulations. Click here to download the current rate schedule.
The City of Charlevoix provide refuse pickup to single family residential homes in the City. The pickup day will be the first and 3rd Monday of each month, except certain holidays. Click here to download the 2013 pickup schedule. Below is a list of items that can be placed along the front curb of the residence:
ALL REFUSE ITEMS PUT AT THE CURB HAVE TO PUT OUT ON SUNDAY. THERE IS A 2 CUBIC YARD LIMIT PER EACH MONDAY PICK-UP. ONLY THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WILL BE PICKED UP.
REFUSE TO BE COLLECTED Click here to download the pickup notice.
The items to be collected by the Contractor under the terms of this agreement shall be referred to as "refuse". The term refuse shall include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Discarded toys.
- Discarded clothing and similar materials.
- Household appliances, such as but not limited to, stoves, refrigerators, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, etc. (All freon must by removed from any refrigerant unit).
- Household furniture, couches, chairs, mattresses, tables, carpet and similar type items.
- Passenger car and pick-up tires. Limit 2 per pick up.
- Boards 4 ft. in length and secured in bundles.
- Christmas trees - scheduled pick up (to be placed at a site designated by the City).
- Remodeling refuse if generated by homeowner, (2 cu. yd. limit per week).
- Any other refuse items except what is excluded.
The following items are not to be collected under this Contract:
- Earth, sod, rocks, concrete.
- Refuse from construction or remodeling, except as in #8 of Collected Refuse.
- Trees, other than Christmas trees.
- Grass clippings.
- Household garbage.
- Automobile or truck parts.
- Manufacturing or trade waste.
- Any containers weighing more than fifty (50) pounds, except large household appliances and furniture.
- Any item that will be accepted for Recycling - such as, newspapers, cardboard, plastic, glass.
- Hazardous products - paint, chemicals, solvents, motor oil, batteries.
If you have any questions, please contact the City Manager’s Office at 231-547-3270.